Word Whispereer

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Beyond the Majestic Bounds


"From every wound there is a scar, and every scar tells a story. 
A story says, I survived." - Fr. Craig Scott

... a prologue to " Beyond the Telegraph Road "
 tribute to a fallen brother


Beyond the Majestic Bounds

crampon cleats tickle her snow packed bedrock
far below the frosty powder dusting;
released from where her majestic peak
parted yester night’s obstinate clouds.

the alpine atmosphere
first chilled and then plummeted
as the starlight glistened;
illuminated ice crystals sparkled
like diamonds in the rough.

I am overwhelmed
by the peaceful aura
surrounding me.

watching how
"these"
footprints
mark the snow
...arousing
a lucid,
stirring awareness
of my existence;

...inciting
a conscious moment,
extraordinarily deepening
the realization of being...















Authors notes:   aka…a bit of back story...

At 20, tragedy stuck my life when my best friend I had grown up with from just down the block, perished in a head on crash. We lived together in college at the time and we were all headed to the beach for the Memorial Day weekend.    Another friend had a 2 seat sports car and at the last minute I could not go because 3 did not fit. (6’4” 200 at the time) I was disappointed and felt abandoned by my best friend as I watched them drive away, down the gravel road for the last time.  Then came the knock at the door by the state police at 1am inquiring about next of kin,  a moment that changed my life forever.

When we snow skied as teens, we always talked about climbing the mountain we were on. It took years and the weight of a promise,  some practice, physical training and a 6 month mountaineering class to discover so much more than closure…

1 comment:

Mel said...

Loved reading this poem and seeing the beautiful pics too! would love to see Mt Hood one day.