Word Whispereer

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Destiny ... Merciful Surrender to the Weight of Gravity



This piece is a tribute to a traumatic life lived that could no longer be saved no matter how hard I tried… It has taken a few years to write something about someone I did not know until our fated intersection just upriver from my boat ; that April 21st day at the river will be a moment never forgotten … A cathartic attempt to walk an understanding  mile in another’s shoes .  Sometimes our life changes so quickly we don’t really even comprehend how drastically a moment changes everything .... This narrative prose poem is based on a true life event .


Major depression is a debilitating illness that lurks below the surface often going undetected by loved ones .  You never know what inner turmoil lies within the outer cover of a book at a casual glace .   This cathartic writing is another attempt to heal from a past moment ; The aftermath of those left behind in the wake of tragedy at that exact spot , at that instant on an April 21st spring day 7 years ago . Changes at so many levels in so many lives, altering my personal journey forevermore …












The Weight of Gravity


Standing on the edge of oblivion
Dark circled eyes span the distant horizon ;
visible signs of an unsettled agony
tremble through the veiled ache within .
Knowing he had tried a lifetime
to cast off  this body’s  cage
Shed the invisible skin only he could feel
 
Racing thoughts suffer
as scrambled search for glimmers of hope’s shining light
fade into an unrecognizable hollow stare
All the while instinctively trying to regain focus
through the distracting fog and haze
of the inevitable price to be paid.
Thoughts of waiting here forever wane
as this haunting loneliness,
won’t abandon like so many before


Struggling for balance,
teetering on the brink of helpless surrender,
vulnerable thoughts of ever belonging faded
with the final concluding memories;
That fated moment when the last rumination
of physical human touch vanished
like a smoldering wick without wax
Smoke rings rising to dissipate,
disappearing into an untouchable broken dream...


Never really understanding
whether destiny carved the pathway
of the long and twisting road
leading to this defining crossroad
Or is it the preordained instant of forgiving submission
Doomed from the very beginning …
There were many rivers to cross
since the age of innocence ;
jumping off cliffs into the soothing summer waters
with the faith to fly like a bird,
soaring into the great abyss.


Now he stood frozen ;
stranded in an awkward moment
of confused trepidation
Daunting indecision overwhelms
a distorted perception
Essence… praying to the spirits of the universe
for the strength to understand the nebulous lines
between destiny and merciful surrender.
Asking for the strength to accept
that which could no longer be changed


At the cusp, high above
a waiting river too wide to cross …
Rolling out to sea …
grasping a precious journey’s completed circle
back to begin where life started
Physically too tired to reach
for another unknown distant shoreline .
Love is a river of tears
better crossed where peaceful waters flow


“ Its only water, I want it washing over me ,
Washing over me ”…


©  2012~2013 … Harlon Rivers  …All Rights Reserved



"That Day at the River"


The following narrative is a more complete description of the events of “That Day At the River” Although not graphic it does talk about what happened in the aftermath and may be triggering if you are prone to the sensitive emotions with an attempt at understanding thoughts of trying to save a passing life…
With those thoughts in mind, it has been removed from this page and is linked below to as a separate chapter of my Diary of the Falling Dominoes journals found here:
http://melancholyrivers.blogspot.com/p/this-piece-is-tribute-to-traumatic-life.html


Thank you for reading...




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

life takes some strange twists and turns even as the river winds it's way to the open sea.. I was touched by your narrative.. my youngest brother in law let go of his life almost 30 years ago.. in the river at Renton Washington.. there are some mysteries that take a long time to puzzle out.. and reading your story has allowed me to place one more piece of that puzzle in it's place.. and in the end we find that there are some parts of all mysteries that are not meant to be known.. but simply accepted... and there is the kind of peace that goes beyond understanding..

~~olla~~

Harlon Rivers said...

~ olla ~

It is with a heavy heart I thank you for sharing a very personal life moment…It is obvious you know that understanding can only come through shining the light on the darkness. Even though my life has been touched before by lost friends stricken by such “puzzling mysteries”, this came at a time when the weight of the load from other life changing events, was admittedly overwhelming to me as well. My greatest mistake that I harbor regret, guilt and remorse for making, is that someone like your youngest sister desperately could have been helped by my answering her questions to provide closure if she were in the position of his sister in this scenario… She tried desperately to reach out to me as well as other family members and I just was so traumatized by my experience that I did not reach out with an understanding, compassionate helping hand for 2 years… I feel terrible about that every time I go near that river.

The 1st incident I experienced was my best friend in high school. I knew then it was impossible to tell a book by its cover because there were no clues…a top 5 student in the class and headed to a prestigious university… You just never know what inner turmoil eats from the inside out. I am so grateful you have spoken up. This is the second time I have tried to raise awareness to the hidden agony some people face and you have finally come forward sharing your thoughts revealing how, even after 30 years, those left in the wake are left to suffer trying to find perspective…Thank you my friend…Even though it is not easy to speak out I hope someone that needs to find help and understanding will…Nothing is inevitable.

harlon rivers

Anonymous said...

I am moved by you work on may levels. I have journeyed with you and can relate to both sides of this life changing experience. I hope that this cathartic process has blessed your life as you have so many others in sharing.
~ Peace-n-Love

Anonymous said...

Mom posted above just now, and I wanted you to know I read this the day you published. For some reason my comment did not go through. I must have needed to return for a second read.
I needed to read this on that very day, and as I came back to read again I simply wanted to say... Thank you! Back to comment when possible.
Reading! Cadence :-)