Word Whispereer

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Love Moved On


a photo and poem by Harlon Rivers



City lights twinkle
Across the Meadowbrook Valley's moonlit sky
Starlight glistens from the ridge top
Of an ancient sacred wilderness mile
Impossible distant journey
Yet only an arms length away

As I view my town that’s been left behind,
Emotions overwhelm this heart
Traces of past memories
Flood these forlorn sleepless eyes
A heart that has been broken knows
Only love will break your heart

Born and raised in humility
Crucified by years of peer’s contrive
I’ve paid for the countless sins
Of those who came before me,
Covered by memories indelible scars

Who knows why the long climb up the proverbial hill top,
Became a slippery slide
Just out of reach is where I’ll remain 
The place where my soul learned
How to let sleeping dogs lie free

Each time they were mistaken
Every time they tried to read between the lines
All the chances they had to get it right
Yet all the times I remember it went wrong

I no longer fear the fleeting time,
Will leave me here alone
There’s not enough left to survive
Another broken heart,
Please love me or just walk away while you can,
Before another melancholy morning’s dawn...


No comments: